Back Strengthening Exercises
- Out here, you can start off with one set of 15 repetitions after which you can increase the number of sets steadily.
- In case you are using dumbbells, decrease the number of repetitions in the set upon increasing the weight.
- If you are performing these exercises at home, instead of dumbbells, you can use bottles filled with water.
- This is a great exercise for the lower back. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, slightly bend your knees, lower your torso from the hip, and extend your arms to grasp the dumbbells.
- Remember to keep your abs tight and dumbbells close to your body.
- The dumbbells should reach a maximum of ankle height.
- Remember to keep your back straight as you slowly come back to the standing position.
- Sit on the edge of a bench holding dumbbells in both your hands.
- Slowly bend down so that your hands are below your knee.
- Now keep your torso in the same position, and lift your hands till the shoulder level. Remember to keep your elbows a little bent and not locked.
- If the shoulders are locked, there are chances of injuring the elbow. Bring your hands back to the starting position. The number of repetitions is 15 for this exercise.
- Lie down on your stomach, and clasp your hands tightly behind your back.
- Now, slowly lift your chest off the ground with controlled movements.
- Hold the position for a few seconds before returning to the starting position. The number of repetitions is 15.
- This exercise is good for toning up the arms, and works well for the shoulder girdle as well.
- Out here, you bring the chin up through space in relation to its position with a hand grip or bar.
- Women who find it difficult to do full chin-ups can use a chair or a spotter for assistance.
Other Lower Back Exercises For Women
- Exercise I: Lie down on your stomach. Keep your chin resting on the ground as you extend your hands in front of you. Lift one hand and the opposite leg. Hold the position for a few seconds, and return to the starting position. Repeat on the same side for 15 counts, and then change to the next side and repeat.
- Exercise II: This exercise is similar to the previous one. However, you will lift both your hands and legs at the same time in this variation. Hold the position for a few seconds, and do not jerk while returning to the starting position. Recommended repetitions is 15 for this exercise.
Back Exercises For Pregnant Women
Back pain is a normal complaint during pregnancy. However, in this period one should perform only specific exercises with utmost care and caution.
Have you ever observed a cat hunching its back? That is exactly what you have to do.
- Get into a ‘tabletop’ position by balancing yourself on the hands and knees.
- Flatten your spine in such a way that it is aligned from your neck till the tail bone.
- Next, pull your back up towards the ceiling by slowly breathing in, and hold for a few seconds.
- After that, pull your spine towards the floor by slowly breathing out. Hold for 4 to 5 seconds, and return to the starting position.
- Sit on a chair, keep your hands on your sides, and be relaxed.
- Slowly start bending forward, and keep your hands hanging in front of you.
- Then slowly come back to the starting position while keeping your back straight.
- Stand and lean back against a wall.
- Keep your feet slightly away, and press your lower back into the wall.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, and slowly return to the starting position.
All these exercises are easy to execute, and they help in strengthening the muscles, thereby making it less prone to injuries. However, before starting any exercise, ensure that you warm yourself up nice and proper. In case you’re a beginner, always carry out the activities under the supervision of an expert instructor.